See Also: Cheap Car Insurance Athens
The details of your policy will limit what is covered and what is not. To be sure you have the auto insurance you need, you must ask your agent to help you.
Here are five things that your insurance may not cover unless you ask for it:
1. Your entire car loan amount. Unless you ask for gap insurance, your auto insurance may not provide enough money to pay off your entire car loan amount in the event of a total loss. Gap insurance gives you the difference between what you owe for your car and the amount the auto insurance company will pay for the car.
Without this add-on, you could end up with no car, no money for a down payment on a new car, and still owe money on your wrecked or stolen car.
2. Your total rental car bill. While you may have coverage for a rental car, you may not have unlimited options when it comes to your rental. You may be limited to a certain size car, a certain amount per day, or a certain amount for the total rental car expense.
If you want to upgrade, or if you have your rental car for a prolonged period of time, you may have to pay out of pocket. It's crucial that you ask your Athens auto insurance agent about the specifics of your policy, then add the riders you need to get the coverage you want.
3. Damage to something you are towing. If you have a boat, an RV, a jet ski, or a motorcycle and you are towing it behind your vehicle, your auto insurance won't cover damages to that object.
You should have riders that cover those items, so that policy would be responsible for providing the repairs or replacement. The thinking is that if something needs its own insurance, your auto insurance isn't responsible for paying the claim. To be certain all of your property is insured, ask your agent to add the riders you need.
4. Vehicles used for business. Your auto insurance won't cover your car if you use it for business transport purposes, like deliveries, couriering items for work, or picking up products from a warehouse. You'll need business insurance instead. It is vital that you speak to both your auto insurance agent and your company to find out how to ensure your car is covered at all times.
5. Uninsured or under-insured drivers. Drivers without auto insurance of their own, or those who don't have enough coverage can be a serious problem for you in the event of a claim. If you allow someone to drive your car and an accident occurs, your coverage could be decreased.
If you are hit by someone without insurance—or without adequate insurance—you could be left footing the bill. Be certain that you speak to your Athens area auto agent to find out what level of coverage you have for under- and uninsured drivers.